Welcome to the Bursary Department, Sokoto State University, Sokoto (…it all begins here!).
The Bursary Department performs the Financial and Accounting functions of the University. It is headed by the University Bursar, who is, the Chief Financial Officer of the University and is responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the day to day administration and control of the financial matters of the University. The Bursar is also a member of the Management of the University. He is ably assisted by a number of Unit Heads.
At the moment, the Department is headed by Mal. Sani Sahabi Bodinga. He doubles as the Bursar as well as HOD of Budget and Expenditure Control Division.
The Bursary Department is divided into three broad Divisions of Budget and Expenditure Control, Treasury and Main Accounts as well as Capital Projects and Special Services Division:
- Treasury Unit, headed by –Mal. Abubakar Abdullahi Achida
- Special Projects & Expenditure Unit, headed by – Bello Umar Bagudo
- Bank Reconciliation Unit, headed by – Shehu Mu’azu
- Salary Unit, headed by – Hayatu Muhammad Ladan
- Stores and Supplies Unit, headed by – Abdullahi Adamu Isa
- Revenue & Investments – Makiyya Muhammad Anka
- Loans & Advances – Bashir Ibrahim Tangaza
Vision of Bursary Department
To create a proactive and first rate ICT driven financial department poised to contribute to the University’s wider vision of Ranking among top 110 Universities in the world.
Mission Bursary Department
To Guarantee the University and stake holders the most efficient and effective way of Resources Mobilization, Allocation and Management, using appropriate information technology aimed at the provision of excellent services.
Scope of Operation
The objective of maximum utilization of the limited financial resources at the University’s disposal gives Bursary Department its focus. Bursary Department as the finance part of the University, function in effective procurement, (mobilization), safe custody and allocation of financial resources as well as providing stewardship by accounting spent funds.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF OPERATIONS
- Fiscal: This is to ensure that financial resources are effectively mobilized and acquired, held safely and allocated for the interest of the University economically, effectively and efficiently.
- Cost Efficiencies: This ensures that set objectives are achieved at minimum cost.
- Liquidity: This is to ensure that the University as an Organization meets its financial obligations as and when due. It also involves efficient financial management in order to ensure optimal utilization of fund at lowest cost and maximum yield on invested resources.
- Accountability and Reporting: This is an application of efficient Financial Management using accounting tools which enables management to give stewardship of resources under its custody. This also includes reporting obligation for spent funds.
- Financial Information per Decision Making: Necessary Financial Information that enables decision making is provided to the leadership team and other decision makers at all levels across the University.
Malam Sani Sahabi Bodinga