Brief History of the Department
Department of Economics is one of the eight pioneer Departments in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciencesof the Sokoto State University, which was esterblished in August 2013 when the then Executive Governor of Sokoto state, Alhaji (Dr) Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko Sarkin Yamman Sokoto) signed the law establishing the institution. The University Campus was officially commissioned on October 29th 2013 by the fromer Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, General Abdulsalam Abubakar (GCFR).
Philosophy and Mission of the Department
The vision of the Department is to be a World class Department of Economics and a center of excellence in the field of Economics, research and development studies that will reflect the needs and aspirations of the host community, Sokoto State, Nigeria, Africa and the World at large. To achieve this, the Department realizes the need to produce graduates who will be equipped with critical skills and aesthetic abilities of using modern and advanced but simplified models and tools of analysis that will enable them identify the essence of economic problems; scrutinize and reason both inductively and deductively; harmonize facts; analyze qualitative and quantitative data; concisely communicate results obtained;while at same time know critically the limits of one’s analysis in the broader economic context; draw economic policy implications and recognize the potential constraints in their implementation.
In line with the University’s mission, the training given is intended to move forward frontiers of knowledge by producing excellent, self-employable, marketable, competitive and self-reliant global citizens with great entrepreneurial skills and ability to utilize the development potentialities where ever they may find themselves.
The programme aims at producing graduates equipped with critical skills and abilities to think critically in a broader socio-economic context and draw economic policy inferences.
- to develop and improve students’ understanding of economic problems at various stages of national development;
- develop the capacity of students to understand major economic challenges facing the private and public sectors of the economy;
- impart students with sound background of theories, analytical economic techniques for professional administrative and economic undertakings;
- enable students raise thier level of interlectual ability, creativity and promote the spirit of self-reliance by being able to handle issues related to wealth creation and entrepreneurship;
- to create an atmosphere for desirable behavioural changes that will help students to develop values that are in consonance with the national objectives such as hard work, probity, commitment, patriotism and discipline and
- prepare students for higher studies and professional advancement in economics and related disciplines.
Admissions and Graduation Requirements
Candidates for admission into the four-year degree in Economics should posses a Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE), General Certificate of Education (GCE), National Examination Council (NECO)Certificate or their equivalents with at least five credit passes, at not more than two sitting including Mathematics, English Language and Economics. In addition, candidates must have acceptable passes in UTME.
- Candidates for Direct Entry admission shall possess in addition to five credits in GCE, SSCE, NECO or their equivalents, an Advanced Level qualification such as IJMB, GCE A-level, or NCE or OND in relevant areas as stipulated in the JAMB brouchure.