BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Educational foundations is one of pioneering departments in the University which began its academic programmes in 2013. The Department is ultimately responsible for teaching courses to all undergraduate students at the Faculty of Education. The Department is very unique as a result of its academic and intellectual capacities in equipping the students with essential skills and competencies needed for socio-economic and other spheres of development in the society.
The success of educational institutions largely depend on the quality of management of limited human and material resources available for the smooth running of programmes and day to day activities of educational institutions. The quality of management that goes on in educational institutions however, largely depends on the quality of knowledge, skills, attitudes and professional competence of educational managers handling the affairs of educational institutions. The rationale for Educational Management is the acquisition of appropriate managerial skills, abilities and competencies such that prospective educational managers would better understand human behaviour and interrelationships.
Aim and Objectives
The aim of the programme is to train students to have an in-depth knowledge of Educational Management and required skills for handling educational management issues. The objectives are to:
- acquire, develop and inculcate proper value orientation for the survival of the individual and society;
- develop intellectual capabilities of individuals to understand and appreciate their environment.
- acquire both physical and intellectual skills which will enable the individuals to develop into useful members of the society.
- acquire an objective view of the local and external environment.
Students are admitted into three or four years programmes based on the following criteria:
- UTME: 4 Year programme
- Five Credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at the SSCE or equivalent are required for Guidance and Counselling
- Acceptable pass scores in the UTME
- Acceptable pass in the University post JAMB screening exercise
b. Entry: 3-year Program
Holders of NCE/Diploma will spend 3 academic years, while all others will spend four academic years full time. English Language, Mathematics and other requirements should be fulfilled. In all cases the following shall apply:
- At least credit in Mathematics and credit in English Language in the senior secondary school Exam/ West African School Certificate or equivalent for entrance into educational management.