BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Geography, Sokoto State University, Sokoto, which for now runs only B. Sc.Honours degree in Geography, is one of the eight pioneer Departments under the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. It was established in 2013, and enrolled its pioneer students in August same year preparatory to the takeoff of academic programmes of the University which was later commissioned on October29th, 2013 by Former Head of State, General Abdulsalam Abubakar, GCFR, under the leadership of the then Sokoto State Governor Alhaji (Dr.)Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko (SarkinYammanSakkwato). The take-off academic staff were 5 in number, with Malam Mustapha Sani as the Coordinator and later pioneer Acting Head of Department. The Department curriculum emphasizes balance between human and physical geography, and amongst theory, methods and applications.
The philosophy underlying the Geography degree programme is to produce a crop of graduates equipped with appropriate knowledge to make effective contributions to the development of Nigeria, Africa and the global community having been exposed to a broad foundation of knowledge in the field of Social Sciences in general and in the various sub-fields of Geography in particular.
Aim & Objectives
- To instill in students a sound knowledge of Geography, an appreciation of its applications in different socio-cultural contexts and to involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying the workings of society,
- To provide students with broad and well balanced knowledge of geographical theories and methods,
- To cultivate in students the ability to apply their geographical knowledge and skills to the understanding and solution of societal problems in Nigeria and elsewhere,
- To provide students with relevant knowledge and skill base from which they can proceed to further studies in special areas of Geography or multi-disciplinary areas involving Geography,
- To instill in students an appreciation of the importance of Geography in spatial and environmental contexts,
- To develop in students a range of useful competencies in public, private or self-employment.
Admission into the Bachelor of Science degree in Geography, Sokoto State University, could either be by UTME or Direct Entry.
Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
Candidates for admission into the four-year degree in Geography, should possess a Senior Secondary School Certificate, General Certificate of Education, NECO or their equivalents with at least five credit passes, at not more than two sittings including Mathematics, English Language and Geography. In addition, candidates must have acceptable passes in UTME.
- Candidates for direct entry admission shall possess five (5) credits in GCE, SSCE, NECO or their equivalents, and at least two shall be at advance level provided that such passes are not counted at both level examinations. For emphasis, credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and Geography are required.
- In addition to UTME requirements, candidates must possess NCE/Diploma in Geography from any other recognized institution with at least credit pass.
- Candidates with Diploma in Cartography, Environmental Management and Planning, Survey or any other related field of study with at least credit pass may also be considered.