The Faculty of science, which is one of the three faculties of the Sokoto State University (SSU) was established since inception of degree programmes in the University in August, 2013. The Faculty comprises of seven Departments and runs seven degree programmes.
The departments and respective programmes are as follows:
|Name of the Department||Degree Programme|
|1. Department of Biochemistry||B.Sc. Biochemistry|
|2. Department of Biological Science||B.Sc. Biological science|
|3. Department of Chemistry||B.Sc. Chemistry|
|4. Department of Computer science||B.Sc. Computer science|
|5. Department of Mathematics||B.Sc. Mathematics|
|6. Department of Microbiology||B.Sc. Microbiology|
|7. Department of Physics||B.Sc. Physics|
The Faculty and Department are administered by academic staff on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor as the Chairman of all Faculty Boards. He is also the Chairman of academic Departmental Boards. The Faculty is headed by Dean while Departments are run by Heads of the Department.
Committees/Boards consist of both the Dean and Heads of Department in administering the Faculty and Department respectively.
Specifically, it is the responsibility and schedule of the Dean to:
- Give administrative and academic leadership in the Faculty
- Exercise general superintendence over the academic and administrative affairs of the Faculty and initiate executive action arising from Faculty Board decision;
- Co-ordinate and regulate, subject to review by the Senate, the teaching of courses in degree programmes and examinations in approved for the Faculty by the Senate, and to present Faculty Board recommendations made thereof to Senate for consideration;
- Execute the academic policies of the faculty including curriculum review and examination regulation as developed by the faculty board and approved by the Senate;
- Serve as chairman of the faculty board and all Faculty standing committees;
- Appoint such faculty committees and other academic faculty officers and representatives as may be deemed expedient;
- Consider and report to the faculty board any matters relevant to the faculty and as deemed necessary for the efficient administration of the Faculty;
- Co-ordinate the provision and maintenance of common Faculty facilities: lecture halls, office accommodation, teaching, research and office equipment as well as furniture and other services especially water and electricity;
- Co-ordinate the budget proposal of the faculty and the allocation of funds for equipment and other capital projects;
- Ensure equitable process of promotion of staff in the faculty;
- Administer student admission, registration, matriculation and orientation in accordance with the University policies;
- Maintain student record including statistics on enrolments and academic record;
- Present to Faculty Board on Examination, the Faculty Board and the Senate the results of all examinations conducted in the faculty for Senate approval;
- Present to convocation, candidates for the degrees (other than honorary degrees), Diplomas, Certificates and other awards of the University at examinations held in the branch of learning for which responsibility is allocated to the Faculty;
- Co-ordinate the research, profession consultancy community/extension services and fiscal activities of the Faculty.
The Faculty Board regulates the teaching, study and conduct of examinations connected with, the subjects assigned to the faculty, the Board also deals with any other matter assigned to it by statute or by the Vice-Chancellor or by the Senate and advises the Vice-Chancellor or the Senate on any matter referred to it by the Vice Chancellor or the Senate. The Board is made up of all the academic staff of the faculties. The Vice-Chancellor is the Chairman of the board, but the Dean usually presides while faculty officer serves as Secretary.
Faculty Standing Committee
This Committee comprises of all Heads of Department in the Faculty and Faculty Examinations Officer. The Dean serves as Chairman while faculty officer as secretary.
Faculty Appointment and Promotion Committee
This Committee comprises of all Heads of department in the faculty and dean serve as chairman with faculty officer as secretary.
Faculty Research and Publication Committee
The Committee comprises of all Heads of Department, Senior Academic Staff in the Faculty and the Dean serve as Chairman while Faculty Officer as secretary.
The Departmental Board regulates the teaching and conduct of examinations connected with the subject assigned to the Department and makes recommendations to the Faculty Board. The Board is made up of all the academic staff of the department. The Head of the Department is the Chairman of the Board while an administrative staff posted from Registry Department serves as secretary.
Each Registered Student must sign the matriculation register in accordance with the directives of the Registrar. Matriculation is binding on every student fresh student of the university. The exercise is usually presided over by the Vice-Chancellor.
Matriculating students are presented by their respective Deans, while the Vice-Chancellor administers the matriculation Oath. Students are made to solemnly undertake and swear to observe and respect the provision of Sokoto State University Laws, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations which are now in force or which from time to time be brought into Force.
The Oath forms are obtainable at the office of the Faculty Officer. Matriculation Register is also available at the office for the students to register themselves and affix their signatures. The forms are then returned to the Faculty Officer for onward submission to the Registry Department.
None matriculated undergraduate students are not bona-fide students of the University.