PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The Biology programme provides basic training to the award of B. Sc. Honours in Biology and caters for the needs of B. Sc. Education, Chemistry, Computer Science, Microbiology, and Biochemistry Students. The programme is also designed to produce intellectuals and professionals with advanced knowledge of fundamentals of living organisms coupled with research capabilities to take and solve problems independently.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The main aim and objectives of the degree programme in Biological Sciences should be:
- To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of biological knowledge and practical skills.
- To develop in students the ability to apply knowledge and skills in solving theoretical and practical problems in Biology.
- To develop in students, a range of transferable skills that are of value in Botany and Zoology and adequate for employment in the sub-sector.
- To provide students with knowledge and skills based on which they can proceed for further studies in specialized areas of biology or multi- disciplinary areas involving biological sciences.
- To provide, through training and orientation, an appreciation of the salutary rewards of inter and multi-disciplinary approach to the solution of complex life problems.
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of biological sciences in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development.
- To instill in students a sense of enthusiasm for biological sciences, an appreciation of its application in different context and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.