The vision of the department is to crystallize into an internationally recognized centre of excellence in chemical education, technology and research by year 2020.
The mission of the Department is to stimulate and promote rapid development of competent and professional manpower with sound theoretical background and practical knowledge of chemistry to meet the demands of Sokoto State and Nigeria in particular and the international community in general.
The philosophy of the department is to train, nurture and mentor students to become nationally and globally competitive graduates with in-depth chemical knowledge hybridized with appropriate levels of managerial competence and entrepreneurial skills for self-reliance and job creation.
Programmes in the Department are designed to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide training in the theory and practicals of all branches of chemistry.
- Train young chemist in skilful manipulation of modern scientific tools and techniques for advancement of knowledge as well as product design and development.
- Enrich the rapidly industrializing Nigeria with competent manpower for the propagation of scientific knowledge in research and product development.
- Develop skills in the retrieval, interpretation and use of chemical and general information.
- Create awareness of the local, regional and national resources as well as handling of developmental issues in relation to industrialization of Sokoto State and Northwest and Nigeria in general.
- To expose the student to methods and techniques in handling equipment and machineries that may not be available in educational institution.
- To prepare student for working situation they are to meet after graduation.
- To provide avenue for student in institutions of higher learning to acquire industrial skills and experience in their course of study.
- To provide students with an opportunity apply his/her knowledge in the real work and actual practice.
- To make transition from school to the world of work easier and also enhance students contract for latter job placement.
- To twist and straighten employers involvement in the entire education process of preparing student for employment in the industries.