The Man, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal
1. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, lawyer, parliamentarian, administrator, was born on the 10th of January 1966 in Tambuwal, Sokoto State. He had his early education at the Tambuwal Primary School from 1972 -1979 and Government Teachers College Dogon-Daji where he obtained his Teachers Grade II Certificate in 1984.
2. Determined to become a lawyer, young Aminu proceeded to read Law at the Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto, graduating in 1991 with an LL.B (Hons). In 1992, after successfully completing his one year mandatory studies at the Nigeria Law School Lagos, he was called to the Nigerian Bar.
3. His charm and vibrant pursuit of an egalitarian society was soon noticed by his colleagues who persuaded him to run for office and he was elected the Public Relations Officer of the Nigerian Bar Association, Sokoto in 1997. Subsequently, he was to serve variously as the association's Assistant National Financial Secretary, 1st National Secretary, and Secretary of the Human Rights Committee, between the years 1998 - 2002.
4. After working as the Personal Assistant to the then Senate Leader, Senator Abdullahi Wali, Tambuwal ran for the House of Reps seat for Kebbe/Tambuwal federal constituency of Sokoto State in 2003 on the platform of the All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP and won. In 2004, he became the Minority Leader of the House. His knowledge, charisma and erudition, made him a very efficient leader of the opposition.
5. Determined to continue rendering qualitative representation to his constituents, Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal again contested the National Assembly elections in 2007. Following wide ranging consultations, orchestrated and spearheaded by his Leader Alhaji Aliyu Magatakarda Wamakko, Tambuwal recontested, this time on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP. He won the seat to represent his constituency from 2007-2011.
6. No longer in the opposition, he was promptly elected the Deputy Chief Whip of the House, bringing his varied legislative experience, vast array of friends in different parties and sound judgment, to bear on the leadership of the House.
7. In 2011, when Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal again stood for and won election to the House of Representatives, he had become one of the most experienced and most regarded members of that hallowed chamber. His integrity, knowledge of procedure and people, and his charming intelligence made him a very popular ranking member of the House.
8. When the time came to elect a Speaker for the House therefore, it was inevitable that he would become the top contender. His nationalistic vision, his leadership by consensus, and his popularity with people across party, religion and ethnic lines, earned him the trust and ultimately the vote of his colleagues to become Speaker of the 7th Assembly of the House of Representatives.
9. Against almost insurmountable odds, Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal emerged Speaker in 2011 and ran a clean House, devoid of the controversies, corrupt charges and jostles for power that seemed to have characterised the tenure of his predecessors.
10. Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal is a man of many parts who has been able to distinguish himself in all of them. Some of his other achievements include: Leader of the Nigerian Delegation to African, Caribbean, Pacific and European Union Joint Parliamentary Assembly; Leader of the Federal Government team to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia regarding the controversial denial of visas to Nigerian female pilgrims; Member, International Bar Association, Member, Nigerian bar Association; Member, National Executive Committee Nigerian Bar Association; he has attended courses in Kennedy School of Government, Harvard, USA; Oxford University; Stanford Graduate School of Business, and Tulane University, both in the USA.
He once served as Regional Representative Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, Variously State Organising Secretary and Legal Adviser of Political Parties, Distinguished Life Member of the highest professional decision making body of the Nigerian Legal Profession-The Body of Benchers.
11. His gallery of awards include the following: Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR); Abdullahi Gwandu Leadership Award by Gwandu Emirate Council, Kebbi State; Leadership Newspaper’s Politician of the Year 2011; Sun Newspaper’s Man of the Year 2012; Best Performing Governor in Education in Nigeria by BUSINESS DAY and THE AUTHORITY Newspapers (2017); Honorary Doctorate Degree in Law from his alumnus, Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto, December 2012; Honorary Doctorate Degree by the Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu, 2013; Sokoto State Government Merit Award, 2012; Prise La Foundation 2013 by Crans Montana Forum on Africa and South-South Cooperation, Brussels, 2012; Zik Leadership Award on Public Service, among others.
12. In addition, Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal holds important traditional titles from various Kingdoms, Chiefdoms and Emirates in Nigeria. Among such include, Osagie of Opoji Kingdom in Edo State, Obong Ufan of Akwa Ibom, Udonyi Oro of Oron nation also in Akwa Ibom, Bubagunwa of Ekiti in Ekiti State and Maidawakin Gashaka in Taraba state. On Saturday, September 27, 2014, he was turbaned the Mutawalle of Sokoto Caliphate by Sultan Muhammad Sa'ad Abubakar III.
13. On October 28, 2014, after the day's plenary in the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal formally joined the All Progressives Congress (APC).
14. On April 11, 2015, he was elected Governor of Sokoto State under APC platform.
SOKOTO STATE UNIVERSITY TO COLLABORATE WITH AFRICAN REGIONAL INSTITUTE FOR GEOSPATIAL INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN THE AREAS OF RESEARCH AND MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT
Arrangements are und
Powered by:ICT Unit